This is by far, one of the most difficult questions I have ever asked myself. How can I control my oily skin?
You see, I have suffered with oily skin for my entire life. And I don’t mean oily like most people, I mean OILY. My skin is so oily, I joke every time I cook that I can grease my face with the pan. I know a lot of you share my same struggles, and hopefully I can share some solutions that have worked well for me.
First, lets go over what doesn’t work:
- Any face primer that contains dimithecone as the oil fighting ingredient. Things like Mac’s Matte cream, Smashbox Photofinish primer, etc. These products in particular work well for those with normal skin oil, but not those of us with oily skin. I get oily after around 2o minutes after using one of these products!
- Benzoyl Peroxide- This is one that I made a big mistake with. This ingredient is incredibly drying, and if you use it consistently, for the first few weeks your skin will seem to become normal, and not so oily. But soon, you skin will catch up, and being over producing oil to the extreme. I was prescribed Benzaclin, which is benzoyl peroxide and clindamyacin. This medicine dried my face out soooo bad, yet after a few weeks my skin was more oily than ever before, and has never been the same since. So to summarize here, BP can work for short periods, but will do more harm than good in the long run (for some people)
- Oil control foundations, powder foundations, powders in general. I have really never found a powder that can control my oil enough on its own. To name a few, Mac’s Prep and Prime Finishing Powder, MUFE setting powder (Silica powder), ELF’s HD powder, MUFE Duo Mat, Mac Studio Fix Powder, Mac Mineralize Skinfinish Natural… the list could go on. Simply put, no powder has been able to control my oil for more than an hour on its own.
- Paula’s choice mattifiying cream. Despite getting great reviews, this only kept my face matte(isn) for around an hour. Boo.
I’m sure theres more, but thats enough for now 🙂 Onto some products that DO work:
- Milk of Magnesia. This product is really wonderful, simply take the MOM and apply to your face as you would a moisturizer (or you can use a brush, I personally prefer the brush method). Let it dry on your face. The MOM will dry with a white cast over your face, so I follow these steps 1.) Wash face 2.) apply MOM 3.) apply moisturizer. Applying your moisturizer after the milk of magnesia gets rid of this white cast, and helps blend the product in, while still retaining its efficacy.
- Skindinavia/Urban Decay setting sprays. I don’t know how these things work, but they really, really work. They do a magnificent job at setting your makeup, but the oil control variety does an amazing job at controlling oil. I personally apply about 5 sprays before any makeup, and then 5 sprays after makeup. This is a lot more than recommended, but I have been able to go 6 hours with this method, with the help of a few other products.
Here is my routine for 6 hours of Matte skin (remember, normally I see shine about 15-20 minutes after washing my face)
- Wash Face
- Tone (Neutrogena Beta/Apha hydroxy toner)
- Sunscreen (dryer sunscreens the better)
- 5 sprays of Urban Decay Deslick setting spray
- Oil Controlling primer (Currently from cover FX)
- Concealer (Mac Studio Finish, or Pro-longwear)
- Powder (MUFE Duo Mat)
- 5 Sprays of UD Deslick
Thats it! If you have these products, or similar products, I urge you to give this routine a shot! Please let me know if you have any questions in the comments! Thanks for reading!